Saturday, December 6, 2014

Gaming PC and car wiring projects

 Sup guys,


Happy holidays to you all! I have been semi hard at work recently on a few new projects, and I return from the ashes with an update for you guys. First off, I picked up a couple of goodies through some online Black Friday sales. Being a computer guy, I have been building my own PCs since I could afford my own. I snagged a couple of nice deals on a solid state hard drive (Samsung 840 Evo 250GB) and a new video card (Sapphire Dual-X Radeon R9 280). My current computer was initially put together three years ago, so it's starting to show its age. After trying to run Metro 2033 on the lowest settings with DirectX 11, I realized that my old video card (Sapphire Vapor-X Radeon HD 5770) was not going to cut it any more. Thanks to Black Friday, I'm extremely happy with my updated setup--here are some pictures:

More after the jump!
I must say--computer parts have gotten pretty ridiculous recently. The new video card almost stretches across the entire motherboard! Similarly, my aftermarket CPU cooler nearly hits the side of my case it's so damn big!

This is when you know they mean business:

I have now maxed out all the video settings in Metro 2033 while running DirectX 11 and I never drop below 40 frames per second! For those that are interested, here are my computer specs:

Motherboard: Intel DP67BG
CPU: Intel Core i5 2500K
RAM: 2x2GB G.Skill DDR3
Graphics: Sapphire Dual-X Radeon R9 280
Hard Drive: 250GB Samsung 840 Evo SSD (and a couple other old ones)
Power Supply: Antec NeoPower 650
Case: Antec 900

Now that the PC upgrade project is complete, I'm finally fully committed to getting my car modding done. Here's a peek at my next project:
Top row: ScienceOfSpeed fuel pump wiring kit, Walbro 255 fuel pump, triple ring terminal adapter for battery positive terminal, Aux (3.5mm) cable for remote power on/off for amp, amp
Middle row: 80A drop-in fuses, waterproof fuse holder, RCA cables, handles for sub/amp mount for easy insertion/removal
Bottom row: Protective grill, 8AWG wire for amp power, 8'' Dayton Audio subwoofer

This will be my first time dealing with wood, so it should be interesting. I'm anticipating a copious amount of gluing and screwing. Such a strange new world! I'll be using 3/4'' birch plywood to construct a sub box/amp mount that fits snug in my trunk and can be easily removed. I'll be doing a write-up for good measure ;)

Hope you all are doing well,
~T

No comments:

Post a Comment