Sunday, August 23, 2015

Next project--wheel fitment!

Sup guys,

It has been a while, but after much planning I have finally settled upon my next project. I've also decided against supercharging my car............until next year hehe. I'll be getting smogged in early 2016, so I figured I might as well wait while my car remains easy to return to stock. Six bolts for my catalytic converter and a computer reflash and I'm passing with flying colors. In any case, boost is on the back burner while in the meantime I work on my wheel fitment.

What is wheel fitment?

Wheel fitment refers to the position of the wheel in the wheel well, as well as any angling that might be set. Here are three types of wheel adjustments that can be made on most vehicles:

Each type of adjustment has different effects on the handling characteristics of the car. The one I will be performing is negative camber. Negative camber allows for more grip when cornering at the expense of uneven tread wear. In addition, you get the added bonus of having your tires clear the edges of your fenders better. This is important for another mod that I'll be performing: rear wheel spacing.
These are wheel spacers that will be used to push my rear wheels out farther. Since I'm going to running wider tires in the front now, I wanted to balance out the "poke" in the front and the back. Instead of the stock 225/45R17 (front) 255/40R17 (rear) stagger, I'll now be running my rear wheel on all four corners! This is going to require fender work, so I'll be dusting off the ol' Dremel and shaving off portions of my fender to accommodate the wider tires in the front and back. After some of the fender gets shaved, I'll need a proper fender roll from a professional:

In addition to all the shit I just said, I'll also need to get the centers of my wheels bored out, since the hubs in the front of my car are larger than the rear. I'm gonna get all four wheels bored out so I can rotate my tires down the road. Finally, I bought some Duplicolor wheel paint to give my rims a makeover. I'm not going to tell you guys what color--I'll just post pics when it's done! Suffice it to say, my rims are pretty badly curb rashed, so a little cosmetic surgery would be nice.

That's what I'm up to, fellas! Stay tuned...
~T

No comments:

Post a Comment